Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mortgage Recruiting the good and bad

I had a looooooonnnnggg conversation with a recruiter yesterday. No I am not necessarily looking for a new job so please don't drop a LinkedIn note, FB, Tweet Me, Poke Me or otherwise socially molest my inbox.

That being said, I think the gentleman from Hammerhouse called about a post on LinkedIn where I basically called out the mortgage recruiters out there. He wanted to explain that his business is about relationships. I agreed with him on most of his points. It's always a good idea to talk to people in related, connected or your personal industry. You just can't beat street knowledge.

Do I think they (recruiters) add value, yes. All they all honest, no. But I think Eric was yesterday. Let's face facts if you are in the mortgage business still, it's feast or famine for sales and marketing people. There are some doing very well, some not so well, and some are on there way out. Operations people have jobs, not making what they did, but salaries and benefits are why people are in operations. Sales takes balls - yeah I said it.

But, the fact is mortgage licenses have increased year over year. Everyone tells you what you want to hear. If you are new to the business you don't know different. If you are a seasoned vet, which I am (scary), then you know people will lie to you in this business. Some have said salespeople are the easiest close. And I think that may be true in many respects. But there is always truth even within a lie. The hard part is figuring our what is what.

Recruiters have contracts with specific companies and are therefore obviously trying to place you within a good organization. They get paid if you are successful and if you aren't then not only does the recruiter lose income, but potentially their reputation, by hiring "Clown shoes" (learned that one yesterday) instead of a seasoned vet with pipeline, marketing, and a working origination platform.

Stay tuned....Let's see what all these recruiters are really worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment