Friday, July 16, 2010

FINREG

So I have eagerly, OK not eagerly, awaited the passing of the FINREG 2010 what is touted to be the biggest increase in government oversight in the financial industry since the great depression. Of course, I am keenly interested in how the bill will impact me, my family, my career, and therefore my future.

So I get on the Internet last night and guess what. No one has published a detailed accounting of what this bill will actually create. I've seem some bullet points, but even those bullet points fail to fully layout or even explain how the bill will change the mortgage market. Some talk has been "Yield Spread is illegal now", is it? I don't see that - wholesale companies are everywhere and last rate sheet I checked had rebate all over it and lots of it.

2300 or twenty-three hundred. It seems like ever more when you write it out. But that is how many pages it takes to protect the consumer from the evils of the banking empire. Funny enough, no one who voted for it has even read it. And even if you did ( and I am not going to) the text would likely cripple your brain into a mush unrecognizable to all but physicians.

Written by attorney's and legally like minded MBA's, the bill is really only a road map and rough draft on how to prevent the train wreck that is the financial crisis.

Even this morning, after the bill has been signed and ready to deliver to the President for signature,Goldman Sachs settled with the SEC and largest earthquake recorded in DC struck. You tell me what that means, but in my world that's an omen.

So what does this mean for consumers since we clearly cannot determine how this bill will really impact lending. They say no more Stated Income loans? Well unless you have 5% capital at risk for those loans (that's not that much) It also exempts FHA and many want fannie mae and freddie mac added to that exemption. So the big banks won't lend then...Well they really aren't right now all that much anyway. So expect it to get harder- not easier to get a new loan.

Fees? Did you say fees. yes these are the things we will all need to get used to seeing more of. Banks will undoubtedly send the costs of ANY new legislation on to the consumer in one way or another. Just wait to see how expensive it will become to have checking account.

Bottom line, no one really knows the true impact of this bill. But one thing is for sure - it's gonna be expensive for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment